Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wai? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38480)

aleros_eat_rice 08-04-2015 09:00 PM

Wai?

Some of you all might have seen the FB post, but I'll put it here too.

I recently hit something in the road that took out my fender liner on the drivers side, which would have left my CAI filter directly exposed to rain/water coming off of the tire. I didn't let it get wet, but I did move the filter into the engine compartment, and the next day, put a brand new Spectre cone filter on it. I cleaned the CAI filter, then put the filter and tube in the Bravada.

The difference is noticeable, between the locations for the filter in regards to sound and performance. But anyway, this is now more of a WAI now, isn't it?

I also noticed a difference in performance with the Bravada. On a closed road with permission, I took the Bravada there and held the pedal to the floor. At WOT, it pulls so much more than with the stock paper media filter.

sleepyalero 08-04-2015 11:00 PM

Yes, it is now a warm air intake

aleros_eat_rice 08-05-2015 12:34 AM

Cool. Sig updated.

Edit: Pic

Redog 08-05-2015 06:04 AM

It's been debated back and forth and back again on here which is better, CAI or WAI. Both have very good pros and cons.

I felt with the CAI, and daily driving with the rain, snow, road salt, etc on the Southeastern PA roads, it was better to run a WAI and switch to a CAI at the track. I have gained up to 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile using a CAI with the fog light and fender liner removed :awesome:

jhubbz 08-05-2015 04:34 PM

Bruh, you forgot to hook up an electric supercharger after the filter. You're missing some gainz. lol

But in all seriousness, yes it is now a WAI. I've switched between the two, and the only difference I've noticed was the CAI had a deeper note with more of a "whistle" than with the WAI.

aleros_eat_rice 08-05-2015 08:33 PM

On that note, eBay electric superchargers don't work. That's well established. But, someone did make a setup that does work. It requires supercapacitors and hybrid batteries and brake-charging setup with an electric turbo. The electric turbo can spin up to like 75,000 rpm in .64 seconds, producing up to like 5-7 psi boost max. But with how much that extra stuff plus adapters and labor costs, well, I'll put it to you like this.

For that much money, I could get a MMS 4T65HD swap kit, LX9 swap with race block, fully ported u/lim, stage 3 cam and heads, injector upgrade, billet 68mm Tb, fuel pump upgrade and MMS N body turbo kit. And still have enough money to get something done to the Bravada.

Back on topic though, I think I may just stay with the Wai on the Alero and CAI on the Bravada. With the SUV, because it sits higher and because of the fenderwell, it's essentially immune to water intrusion in regular and most off road driving I do with it.

jhubbz 08-06-2015 08:06 AM

Wow, yeah screw all that. Just another product to waste you money, like that intake tornado. If anything, both those products slow down the passage of air.

Anyway, they do make bypass valves that supposedly stop water entering the engine if the air filter of a CAI is submerged in water. I've never installed one, nor had any issues with water, so I can't vouch for any such product.