Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Atmospheric Fallout - Paint (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8166)

gre0481 07-20-2005 11:22 PM

Alright,

I'm not exactly sure when or how it happened, but between last week and this week; I know have tiny rust specs on my car.

I have white paint so it's very easy to notice. I ran my finger nail across it, so i can tell it's not through the paint. My cars not rusty, anywhere.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was told they cover the cars after being assembled to prevent these same specs, but what can be done if you have them? Will it buff out?

misslindseysue 07-20-2005 11:37 PM

I'd try a clay bar first. Cleaner wax/paint cleaner should work, but that can give you more paint swirlies than it gets rid of if you're not careful. I think my clay bar was $10 or $15 at AutoZone.
Yeah.. I just checked it, the box is black with blue, the brand is Clay Magic, and it says on the box that it works for industrial fallout, which is what those little rust spots are.

gre0481 07-21-2005 12:07 AM

I'll try that. I might just wheel it out this weekend. Eventually hope to paint it. My buddies a painter and has his own equipment. Not sure if I trust him to do anything crazy though.

I didn't think Wixom was that close to a factory that would produce that much crap. It seemed to happen in a matter of hours

Oldsman 07-21-2005 12:17 AM

clay bar or buffing it out will remove those specs

misslindseysue 07-21-2005 09:51 AM

Wixom, like the huge Ford complex off 96...

MCKALERO03 07-21-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gre0481@Jul 21 2005, 12:07 AM
I didn't think Wixom was that close to a factory that would produce that much crap. It seemed to happen in a matter of hours

Yeah, the Ford wixom plant, the industrial parks on West road, the shops on Pontiac trail west of Wixom rd, the ones Beck south of Pontiac Trail. There are tons of places in wixom.

Another thing that could have caused this is your brakes. If you have semi-metallic pads, the brake dust can stick to the sides and rear of the car and leave little rust specs. I was confused the first time I noticed this on my car because it was on the piece that holds the license plate and on the bumper cover. I couldn't figure out how I was getting rust on plastic parts...Any cleaner wax will work with a little bit of elbow grease. It doesn't need to be strong cleaner because this stuff is usually just on the surface.

gre0481 07-21-2005 05:03 PM

OK so I'm new to the area. The brakes would explain in in the front, but I have drums in the rear. Still possible?

MCKALERO03 07-21-2005 11:59 PM

Yeah. If your going down the freeway and hit the brakes, that dust is going down the sides of the car and can attach to the sides or even the very back of the car. The air will swirl near the rear of the car when you are at speed and that is what can allow the dust to attach to the rear.

gre0481 07-22-2005 03:02 AM

I know what the problem is, I have never had a white or light colored car before.

thanks for the input.. It isd much appreciated. I just picked up a mothers clay bar, still plan on wheeling everything out this weekend.