Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   99 Alero Won't Start - Security Light Flashes (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8650)

dlbsalero 08-17-2005 09:32 PM

Sometimes my 99 Alero (3.4L) won't crank for upto 10 minutes. Security light will flash. Can this be a bad key (is there a chip in this original key)? Will the BCM (Body Control Module) give a code for this intermittent problem? Could it be the ignition switch going bad? Anybody had a similar problem?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Redog 08-17-2005 10:31 PM

There is no chip in the key, The passlock system is in the igntion lock cyl.

The cyl might not be bad, Your car is 6 years old, are you still useing the origanl key? Keys wear down over time, try a new freshly cut key.

I had the same problem, a newly cut key fixed it right up

dlbsalero 08-18-2005 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will try a new key when I get the car back this weekend.
Hope this is the problem.

pimpnalero99 08-24-2005 09:40 PM

check out your owners manual too. my '99 did that before and there is a section in there about passlock and how to bypass it. i think u turn your engine to the on position, keep ur foot on the brake and switch into every gear, then turn it off and try and start it. something similiar to that. just check out ur owners manual.

jackal2000 08-24-2005 09:42 PM

i had the same problem with my 2000....it threw two codes, both of which for the cyl. $350 later its fixed :angry:

Oldsman 08-24-2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pimpnalero99@Aug 24 2005, 07:40 PM
check out your owners manual too. my '99 did that before and there is a section in there about passlock and how to bypass it. i think u turn your engine to the on position, keep ur foot on the brake and switch into every gear, then turn it off and try and start it. something similiar to that. just check out ur owners manual.

that is something like i did with mine when my 99 did that crazy poop.

what a pain in the ass. but got it to work.

AftermathAlero 08-25-2005 01:32 AM

just bypass it with a resistor after u cut the yellow passlock resistance sensing wire. passlock sucks anyways... its not gonna stop anyone from taking the car.

Whitetigerboi83 08-25-2005 01:38 AM

well it will slow them down a bit cant really start the car for 10 min .. but i guess if thery really want it they take it... thats why i like my bypass kit i got fron jcwhitney with my new alarm... took a few to figure out the actual resistance a digital voltmeter helped get the right settings..

AftermathAlero 08-25-2005 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Whitetigerboi83@Aug 25 2005, 05:38 AM
well it will slow them down a bit cant really start the car for 10 min .. but i guess if thery really want it they take it... thats why i like my bypass kit i got fron jcwhitney with my new alarm... took a few to figure out the actual resistance a digital voltmeter helped get the right settings..

lol.. wasted ur money on the bypass kit. a resistor at radio shack like 10 cents. or bypass kit for like 15 bucks. hehe