Thread: Amp Rack Design
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #25
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The threshold will be dictated by your crossover. More than likely your amplifier will be the one to eliminate the lower Hz. If you look, most amps will only produce down to 20Hz. The same goes for the Head Unit. Frequencies below 20 will never reach the sub because they were never produced. So, if you see one of the guys with a "0Hz" on the rear window, you can laugh. Most likely, he never got close.
When I was refering to a ultrasonic cleaner, I should have been more specific. A ultrasonic transducer is dependant on voltage. The transducer will vibrate when a given voltage is supplied. The frequency of the vibration is directly related to the make of the transducer and the voltage supplied. Your sub will never react like a ultrasonic transducer. However, it will still produce vibrations. In part due to the flexing of the box walls as air is moved. Also do to the transiant response. This is what your sub and amp will try to defeat with a dampening factor. The larger the dampening factor the better the amp and sub can controll the vibrations. The lower your sub hitts the larger the dampenging factor has to be to control it. Our premium amps for speakers have a dampening factor of greater than 200, while our class D amps have a dampening of greater than 1,000.
Tenny,
Lighten up. No one here is claiming to be "audio gods". If you do or don't believe it then fine. It is your amp, your call. However, don't make the claim that companies use it as a reason for not fixing what you broke. The reality is that vibrations kill electrical components. We fix boards every day that have solder joints broken in half. The larger your amp the more prone it will be to vibration damage. If you have ever opened up a amp, you will notice the capacitors are quite large and heavy. The semiconductors solder joints on the heat sinks sheer in half. On a better amp silicon is placed under these to help reduce the vibration from the leads. Nearly every HU and amp is ran through a vibration test. We hardly ever have a failure here, but you are comparing a 30 second test to hours of use. Call your amps tech department and see what they suggest. If they say no, I would stay away from. When ten solid joints have been sheered off, it is very apparent that the amp was not installed correctly. But, what the heck do I know after eight years. And don't forget the installers like mike2002. His experience obviously means nothing to the true audio god here.

Quote:
Originally posted by eag182@Apr 8 2005, 07:36 PM
gett, I sort of understand you, but I thought subs kept a threshold of 20-22Hz so as to not waste away on infrasonic frequencies.