Thread: Too Much POWER
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steck69 View Post
well,correct me if im wrong,it isnt power that fries subs,its distorson,if you can get a clean enough signal you can give gobs of power to subs,thats how a friend of mine is going to send around 13kw to his DD 9912,but ,my friend with the 9512 in the licoln is fixin his system tomorrow,and he's gonna be sendin around 3kw to it.im not braggin or anything but the people i know are very credible, the guy that helped build my friends lincoln and his siters car,is very tight with the owner of DD,but if anyone needs any help with a system,contact me and i can get ahold of some people and get their insight,i'm just tryin to help people out.

Actually thats wrong.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat and kill a sub.

The most prevelant is when the coil shorts out, and thats mainly due to it moving in a non linear motion. The voice coil will rub against the motor, and wear through the magnet wire- bam- shorted.

Then there is the point when the voice coil jumps out of the magnetic gap- its instant heat to the coil.

Clipped signals is never good. When your amp sends a clipped signal its sending straight DC to the speakers- not good.

General overpowering. Its not suc a big deal when its just a short burst. All subs have different points though, so dont get what Im about to say wrong. Some subs may have an RMS of say- 400 WRMS. But for a 3-6 second burp they MAY be able to handle upwards of 4x rated power. Its all sub dependant. At any rate, you never want to drasticaly overpower your subs in a daily situation.

Couple watts, ok- they will probably live. Few hundred, thats risky, a couple thousand- just idiotic...