View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #24
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Power is power, period.

A Boss Audio systems amp putting out an actual 50 WRMS with all things being equal it will sound the same as a kicker amp putting out 50 WRMS. That is proven fact.

I used to disagree, yet nobody to date has been able to take Richard Clark''s $10,000, so I digress.

So in reality you are simply paying for build quality, engineering, features and the name on the amp...

Dont take that the wrong way. Many amps wont produce the power they claim. Many cheaper amps are just junk and fail at a young age...

But power is power and always will be.

To my knowledge, there is no place in an amplifier that DC is turned to AC, then back to DC? Im a bit baffled with that statement.

Thats totally false, made up. It has no merit.

http://www.davidnavone.com/a2000/Amp...20Revision.pdf

I am sorry Ryan, but I still have to disagree. I am a tech for Fujits Ten that manufactures OEM based products and warranty products for Eclipse. There is some merit to what you are attempting to say, but it only applies to a small percentage. Every traditional car amplifier will convert to a AC signal prior to amplification. The same thing occurs in the HU as well. This is a big factor in the cost and quality of a home audio versus car. DC signals are very noisy and non efficient. Since the amplifier's 12 volt output transistors lack the capacity to pull extended wattage, we actually need a slightly higher voltage. Hence, why the power is converted to 100 volt AC. This adds cost to the product due to added electrical componants. One major reason that OEM products utilize the digital signal from the HU. Without the internal amp, the cost is reduced and it even gains a sonic advantage over the traditional Powered HU. Your statement of power is power is true. When dealing with the same technology. Unfortunately, there are multiple forms of amp technology todate. Today we have AB, A, D, G, H, & T. With the addition of the ICE patent, there is even a hybrid. The two most common being the AB and D class. class AB amps will produce the most accurate over a broad range of frequencies but lack the efficiency of others. The class D traditionaly is more efficient but is very selective in the frequency it can produce. Five years ago, the class D was virtually unusable in any frequency over 200 Htz. This is not due to the power of the amp, but the technology used to amplify the signal. There are many companies that produce newer class D amps that can utilize the full frequency range. However, the cost is very steep and the sound is still not favored above the AB amp. High frequencies have a very harsh sound to them and lack the punch in the midrange. This is why magazines will rate a amplifier and show the frequency response of low, mid and high signals. No amplifer will result in a identical signal. when looking at the traditional AB amp, the same holds true. One amp will have a very different frequency curve compared to another. This is characteristic of the company. think of it this way. As the signal is amplified, the low frequencies are not going to be on a linear curve with the highs. One manufacturer may focus more attention to the low spectrum (cheaper due to less electronics required to filter) while others will focus on higher spectrums (more expensive to filter the noise and distortion that is audible).
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote