View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post
i've been running a screenless maf for 3 yrs with no problems, i removed mine because i damaged the honeycomb while doing other modifications, but it has caused no problems at all.

and you're right, there SHOULDN'T be a problem in running without a screen. Although it does serve two functions, one being that it keeps larger pieces of debris from entering the intake, the other being that the "fins" are supposed to "straighten" the air flow before entering the metering wires in the MAF...the truth is, the air flow should be reasonably stable within a couple of inches of the MAF as it is. Might be beneficial if your MAF is located right after (inch or two) an elbow. Otherwise, it won't make that much difference. As far as people believing that removing it reduces flow restriction, that is a myth as well, unless it is damaged or fins are bent, as in your case, then removing it would be beneficial to flow.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote