View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyD View Post
if i didnt run premium but i had either turbo or SC, would that hurt or damage the engine? or would i just not get the extra performance out of it? i think if i did go with something i think it would be a turbo, what would you guys recommend for something to start out small with but has the options for going to fairly big power?

91 Octane minimum is the requirement for boosting of any kind. If you typically find yourself short on cash by the end of the week and having to scrimp on gas by getting the cheapest you can (87 Octane) just to get to work, boosting is not for you.

Boost puts extra pressure in the cylinders, and can cause premature detonation from heat/combustion. The only way to reduce or remove detonation with boost is by octane increase. I would not count on putting "off-the-shelf" ocatane boosters into the tank to compensate, because that's like playing octane-roulette.

If you don't plan on being able to run 91 minimum all the time, every time, then I wouldn't even consider boosting, or even a hot N/A build for that matter.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote