Thread: spring rubbing
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
sharphintofemo
GX Member

sharphintofemo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sharphintofemo
spring rubbing

ok i've searched and searched the forum for this problem so i apologize beforehand for starting a new thread.

my wife drives the alero and while driving she heard a "klunk" sound from the left front (passenger) side and when turning right she could hear a rubbing sound, when turning. (it doesn't make the rubbing sound when turning left, although it does touch.) it also only makes the sound when the wheel well is wet. i checked it out and had her turn the wheel while i took a look and it seems that the spring is rubbing on the inside above the wheel well. it is touching and rubbing on the outside (if you were sitting facing the tire it would be rubbing the wall closest to you up inside the wheel well). i then tried to tighten the nut on top of the strut to see if it was loose, it wasn't.

i then jacked it up to see if maybe i had a bad tie rod and wheel doesn't have any give. the car doesn't shimmy or shake when driving on the highway or noticeably pull to one side(yet), which makes me think its not the tie rod.

i put the car back down, turned the wheel and i heard the "klunk" myself and the rubbing commenced. it seems that once the wheel has the weight of the car on it, something pops out and the spring is closer to the wall and it rubs.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

proud owner of a 2002 Alero GX, 2.2L
sharphintofemo is offline   Reply With Quote