View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
aleromgf
GX Member

aleromgf is on a distinguished road
Nate's Alero, I forgot to add that I had also replaced the boots and plastic clips.

Midgear, Yes, it might be a comp issue, but keep on reading...

Clutch1, Thanks for all your ideas, I had tried some of them already, but I had not thought of engine ground and it may be part of the problem. But read on, and check this out:

What you see above is my latest attempt at diagnosing this problem. As you can see from this pix, I am isolating and removing the housing (brand new) as a possible culprit, and also eliminating the possibility that the coils, or their supply wiring, are being grounded.

I removed the coils from the plastic housing and insulated them from the metal IDI cover. I rigged my test cables to run directly from the coils to the spark plugs, thereby eliminating several possible paths to ground.

I also directly connected the ground strap on the IDI cover to the battery ground.

Guess what? my baby is working again!

So, the only thing this proves, is that it is not a compression problem, but just ignition.

I will continue to isolate it until I can give you all a definitive answer, but a few things are possible:

Defective (brand new) coil housing.
Defective supply wiring to coils. (that may be grounding when everything is put together the way it should)
Lack of good ground at the ICM.

Thanks for all your help!
aleromgf is offline   Reply With Quote