Thread: VHT Niteshades?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
ServO
GL Member

ServO is on a distinguished road
Welp, I have tinted tail lights, and I know for a fact it's technically illegal here in MN to have tinted lenses...there's supposed to be red light or red reflector coming from the rear of the car...luckily for me I'm fairly good friends with most of the police department in the city I work in, so I decided to get a poll from like 6 different cops, and here was the verdict...Basically it's illegal, yes, but if you're driving with your lights on, there's red coming from the tail, so no big deal...there's plenty of other cars out there that look like they have dark tails due to the way they were manufactured, and if you don't go too dark, our Alero won't look much darker at a glance. However, the State Patrol may feel differently and that's the risk we take, but a city cop probably won't bother you as long as there isn't anything else you're doing that annoys him...like not using signals, or loud bass. I've had my tinted tail lights on for a while now, and I've had a couple of police officers get up nice and close to my rear end...even a state trooper, but none of them bothered with me....they just kept on going. I help myself out though by making sure I drive with my lights on during the day. I disabled the DRL's and roll around with just the parks on. That way there's red light in the rear, and some pretty silverstar ambers in the front all the time. I also did not tint the 3rd brake light, so that way when I stop at an intersection, there is absolutely no way the idiot behind me doesn't know I'm stopping...If you get rear ended and your tails are all blacked out, I can pretty much promise that the other driver is gonna try real hard to make it your fault...and they could win.
This thread probably awakend the Cherrington beast...any moment he's gonna come down here and scold us for doing illegal mods to our cars, and tell us we deserve to get pulled over and punished for breaking the law...I mean...it's Cherrington...it's what he does...he is the yin to the yang that keeps this all in balance...but don't let his wisdom drag you down...do what you want to your car, but try to be smart about it...don't make it easy for them to pull you over. If you're uncomfortable with the mod while you're driving, then it's probably something that should get changed.
I personally like my tinted tails, but if it becomes a problem I will just buy a new set of cores and move on.
ServO is offline   Reply With Quote