Thread: l7 or type x?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #33
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Well if your just using one sub then you will have some goofy Ohm load...

3 Ohm load or 12 Ohm...

So be very aware of that.

The novelty of the W6 was to run them in 3's to produce a 4 ohm load. Which was low for 2 channel amps back then- before Class D...

All this talk of subwoofs is getting me interested in audio projects again.

What I don't see in any of the literature on these, or any other units, is the plot of complex impedance vs frequency, as mounted in an enclosure. They show some TL enclosures on that American Bass site, and some others, but I don't see data for the speaker/box combos. You are aware that in vented designs the impedance rises and falls with 2 peaks and generally a trough between those peaks, and the cabinet tuning and damping will determine the magnitude and frequency of the peaks. That is not usually as much an issue for overall listenability, but I would guess it would be critical for competitions, where the minimum impedance needs to be close to the frequency where max output is desired.

Normally woofs with as high a Qts as they show there would only be used in a large sealed box, or a TL (where damping would usually be needed). Vented boxes are much more tricky to achieve a decent impedance curve, which is critical to getting the most power out of the amps. Amps are a lot better than they used to be as far as stability, but clipping at some ranges in the bass is more likely unless the enclosure is correctly damped. The impedance plot is one indication of how well that is done.