View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
welding is not something you can pick up in a day, or go buy a cheap welder becasue your results will be cheap, what kind of gas do you use with a mig welder, do you know how a welder works, welding is again a very highly experienced trade if you will to pick up

no experience holy hell can you warp a panle, i still do it to this day and im close to 20yrs in lol you have to dial in your machine before you weld all the metal has to be clean of all paint if its not your going to get horrible welds and a weld that doesnt penatrate metal is a bad weak weld and it will crack and break free

welding is another story for another thread one day

like some guy said i would practice, on a flat piece of metal, to shave a door handle, on our cars and most cars out there no door skin is ever flat its rounded and contoured, so your metal has to be the same to match the door skin

i cut the hole out and i again metal shape the new piece i made into the door skin, test fit shape test fit shape test fit shape test fit shape, welding on a door, is tricky buisness, your machine has to be dialed in so your just tacking the metal in the hole, and i use my blow gun while i weld to cool the metal down and i have a smoke and then do it again

take longer?? sure but the end result is real nice, when i did mine i shaped and shaped and shaped tacked tack shape tack smoke shape tack smoke
then i grind smoke grind smoke some more if i felt a low spot i didnt instantly go to the bondo i used my tourch heated up the metal just enough to reshape quenched it low spot gone

^^^^^^again metal shaping experience, i got away with 1 coat of bondo and 1 coat of finishing glaze primed it<<<<<<again yrs and yrs of experience, it took me all day to do one door

dude my point is this is not a novice thing, this is not a weekend warrior project, metal fab is for the experienced, custom body work for the experienced,
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote