View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
BlueLego
GX Member

BlueLego is on a distinguished road
just a FYI, if anyone with the ecotec has not replaced the tensioner by thr valve cover than it is a must!. my experience was i started hearing a alot of noise coming from the calve cover, the timing chain had broke the plastic part of the upper guide and the timing chain was hitting against that. so i replaced that part and tested it out but still heard alot of noise. took off the valve cover and started the car (oil flung everywhere lol) but then it died out. tried to start it again and bam!! the engine cranked over super fast and easy so obviously broken time chain. but nope, the tension was lost on the intake cam gear so while those valves were extended the psitons came up and crushed the intake valves. all because that one tensioner not good at all. but also when i had the head off it was mid december and pretty cold and i was replacing my water pump. i was taking off the three screws that connect it to the gear and happened to drop on inside because my fingers were frozen from it being freezing and all the cold coolant. so i fished i there with a magnet in attempt to get the screw and pulled out a peice of something i had no clue what it was. turns out that it was part of the balancer shaft and that was fryed too. if you guys experience any of this for the eco fix it immediatly. the whole timing kit (guides, balancer shaft, tensioner, chain, gaskets) runs about 230 dollars i think. something like that. not a fun project lol
BlueLego is offline   Reply With Quote