Thread: MAF sensor
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
They can't get dirty in the slightest or it throws everything off. Any minute change or problem in airflow will slaughter the car's ability to run properly. ................

A well-calibrated MAF actually measures minute changes in airflow. Normally filtered air won't be a problem.

Quote:
My car doesn't blow up if a charge pipe leaks or anything else happens between the MAF and throttle body.. a MAF based car has major issues. (My dad's Silverado even. I accidentally left the PCV hose disconnected from his air intake tubing. His MAF sensor is located way before that right at the filter. Tons of knock is generated and completely decimated the driveability under load.

While the car blowing up due to a MAF leak is an exaggeration, any huge vacuum leak like that would be immediately noticed (as it should be, even without a MAF). It's good to be warned of a post-filter air leak. A MAF downstream of a blower, though, can be a potential problem, and crankcase fumes can dirty one up quickly.

Quote:
They're just too touchy, and too prone to failure. I don't like them.

I get 31MPG, so don't say they give better mileage. Pressure based tuning can give precise results on speed-density systems.

The MAF is a delicate device, but I never had one fail for a reason other than physical damage. Break it and the car is difficult to drive home.

I was testing the car on the road one time without the air filter, and left a rag in the engine compartment. As you might guess, the blower pulled it up into the intake, and it went FOOOOOMMMP! and took out the MAF. * Had the hood up in the middle of the intersection for only a minute, though, and limped home. Over time you get real good at failure-mode troubleshooting.

* edit: since then, I've run a stock-style "screened" MAF.

Last edited by AleroB888 : 04-24-2011 at 11:42 PM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote