View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #23
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
shit load today. way into work at a stop light same thing as always happens. idle drops to like 300 then surges up to around normal (750) for at least 5 sec. no codes, no other issues ( backfire etc). i shut the car off and started it right back up. no issues for the rst of the drive.

on my way home just now, happened at least 3 times. pretty sure i heard it backfire at least 2 times too. second time it happened, i just about floored it to see what would happen. nothing for a sec or 2 except the idle surge, then that stopped and speed and rpms jumped up like they should. again, no codes or anything except what im pretty sure was backfiring.

funny enough, after this happened the car seemed to run a lot better. i mean ridiculous throttle response, even sounded smoother at high throttle.

based on the slow, or lack of immediate change in rpms when i floored it, my somewhat more mechanically inclined friend is leaning towards throttle position sensor. he may be on to something because the one thats in the car, on the 2.3l tb is from a 1992 grand am, and definitely looks that old. its only like a $30 part, so i may just swap that out and see if anything changes. if anyone else has other suggestions, id love to hear them. just hoping its not fuel pump related.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote