View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #45
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONDOG442 View Post
pH is the negative logarithm of hydrogen ion content, ehtylene glycol, oxygen and aluminum has absolutely zero to do with hydrogen ions and their respective amount, please refer to the Law of mass action in laymans terns, you sir are a effing idiot.

Wow bud, an effin idiot eh? You may be a chemist, but your understanding of coolant may not be as "all that and a bag of salt" as you may think. Hell, maybe I was misinformed about a coolants reaction when it is in contact with cast and aluminum in the same system.... but here it goes.
Green Coolant should have a ph level of about 10.5 and a bit lower at 7.5 in extended life coolants. When the respective coolants drop below these levels, the additives in them break down and the coolants acidic level rises. To be even more specific, it is the additives in coolant that give it it's ph rating in the first place!
Now, long life, or dex in our case, is the better coolant for aluminum protection... period. The biggest mistake I have seen is when mixtures are not proper between the coolant and water. Ususally the first indicator of the depletion of additives, or it's reserve aklalinity, is damage to the rad and heater core fins. Problem is, by the time the issue is a "visual one" in the coolant, the damage is already done. If the ph level of dex is monitored the way it should be, it will not damage the gaskets. If gaskets are being attacked, the fault lies between the door and the steering wheel.... not the coolant. Make sure that the ph level does not go below 7 with your dex and you will be fine.

Now, back to your statement of calling someone what you called me.... please keep your personal banter to yourself. Explaining your case the way you did was excellent, but you really should think about what you are doing to others with that kind of attitude. Yea, you are just some guy at the end of a keyboard somewhere and I should not be so easily offended. Truth is, yes I am, and I hope you do not live in "real life" with that attitude. An attitude like that is going to result in nothing but a sad and lonely life. Drop the attitude and people may actually be intrested in your knowledge and insight!