Thread: Heating Core!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Well I don't think that it is the heating core now...at first I was smelling coolant in the car, and I had no heat, but there was no film on the windshield and nothing was wet inside. Today I was driving, and the car ran hot...I could see steam coming from the engine but I couldn't see the leak. A couple of weeks ago my upper radiator hose had a quarter size hole in it from it rubbing against some high pressure line just above it. So I replaced that and check the lower and that was fine. Fast forward to today...when I finally get home I look under the car and coolant is pouring down. I check all of the hoses again and nothing I can see one hose coming from the heating core that connects to the water pump and that is fine...but I can't see where the second hose runs to, and whether it is leaking from there. It is the only place I can think of that would leak coolant toward the back of the engine.

Any ideas?

Yes! Smelling coolant inside th car is often the result from an engine coolant leak odor coming in from the HVAC syste, Switch to recycling interior air and you should notice that you don't get the coolant smell when that happens. That's the easiest way to rule out a heater core. That and it seems perty rare on these cars.

Were you inspecting for leaks with the engine running and warmed up? It's much easier to find them when the system is under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Ah gotcha...yeah it was a bitch to reach back there but I felt that it was wet....

Isn't that what you have kids for?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote