Thread: running warm
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_style21 View Post
I've got an '04 3400 sedan. 91k on it. I had the cooling system flushed, put a new thermostat in it. Both fans work.
It still likes to run warm. In idle around-town traffic, it creeps up above the half-way mark on the gauge. And when it does, it smells hot, hardcore.
Most of my driving is highway, I just noticed this recently when I spent a day around town. Ambient temps have been around 50-60 F.
Get air moving and its fine. But it makes me nervous in city driving, that needle just creeps higher and higher and it smells so hot. It's never overheated, but I'm sure if I let it sit there long enough, it will. And the temps have been cool. I'm sure it'll be worse once summer kicks in here.
What else should I look at?

I wouldn't worry about it , these engine going half mark on gauge are normal temp even a little higher than half in traffic as long as it's under 3/4 of the gauge in traffic you'll be fine

As for the smell... that could only be some fluid that you drop on the engine doing the flush & started to smell when it evaporate as the engine warm up

Wait a few days to a week & see if the smell is going away gradually or not...

My temp are always half mark even in winter & in summer time on a hot day it goes a bit over the half mark not much but a bit over so it's pretty much same temp year round
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote