View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GrandAm View Post
I have not had a problem with my mount and have not heard of others with issues.

What torque specs were you tightening the upper plate bolts to or did you just turn it until it was tight and then a 3-4 extra turns until it stripped? Also how many times have you had the mount on and off the car and were you the one that took it off and put it on each time. If the shop over torqued one bolt and it broke, it would give me reason to believe they damaged other threads as well due to over torquing.

I wouldn't consider T-6061 aluminum as "low grade", but yes there are higher grades of aluminum available, such as T-2024 aircraft aluminum. From what I have read T-6061 is used in a lot of automotive products and is even used in certain firearm receivers.

Rather than having one machined out of steel, I would go to mcmaster.com and purchase E-Z Lok inserts for metal. You would need PART #90248A034 Once the E-Z Lok inserts installed in the mount, you should be good as long as you don't over torque it again.

I was the one taking it on and off every time. The shop snapped that bolt but they didn't strip those threads....that was me. I was just putting the bolt in, then i started tightening. It wasn't completely tight when they stripped. My friend was talking about sleeving the hole but idk....i just hope it can hold up, i don't want it coming loose again and then i'm not near home or something. If he can i would rather have one made nice and fresh.