View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
any ideas what is causing this

There is a strange noise coming from my front drivers side wheel area. You can only hear it going slow and even at that you have to either be by a building or leaning out the window to hear it. I just noticed it yesterday night going through a drive-thru. I am slightly confused because it is intermittent in the way that a cv shaft going bad would be however it is a squeak and not the grinding sound. I am not sure if this is hub,brake,axle, or possibly even transmission(why I posted in the l61 section instead of general performance). To me it sounds to be coming from too far out to be the transmission but it is still a foreign noise. I have heard bad cv shafts before and we had to drive all the way from Arkansas with a bad hub on my dads 02' chevy one time, but it doesn't quite match anything. I thought maybe brake related but it happens regardless of braking or not, my brake pads are still about half remaining, and it isn't quite as shrill of a sound as the pad indicator. I took a short video to see if anyone could get an idea of what it was. It is a little windy today and while I can hear it I know what I am listening for...it takes a bit before you can hear it though. If I need to wait until it it is less windy and take another one then I will but I will post up what I have for now.

EDIT: on youtube you can hear it even less than the original recording I will get a new one later, you can try if you like but it isn't very clear

Last edited by 03glgold : 09-22-2012 at 05:34 PM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote