View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Bluetooth can also help you stream your stuff without the AUX or USB wire. It's really convenient. Some phones/radios even allow you to be on youtube or Pandora through bluetooth.

I personally think the problem is that these stores don't know our cars. Personally, I would measure the area in the radio cubby, and match those measurements with those of the radios for sale.

As far as Alpine, they stopped being excellent in the mid 2000's. Now they're mediocre. I'm sorry, but for the best bang for the buck, it goes to JVC or Sony. Sometimes Pioneer, but some of their DD radios can be cumbersome. Personally, most of their radios have cumbersome menus.

Also, that Alpine doesn't fit your criteria. It only has one set of RCA outputs. You should at least look for a radio with 2 sets. I'm not sure if you have 2 amps for subs or one amp for a sub and one amp for speakers, but you're better off for 2 sets. Plus, it would be overrated. The best Alpines, IMO were made before 2008. Everything after that went downhill. It's sad, but I have an Alpine radio in my Cutlass from the year 2000 that has more power and more sound options than a modern day top end radio. It also has AUX capability.... so sad.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm going to post 2 links to 2 radios I would consider in your price range.

Also, one thing to consider is RMS power. A radio rarely puts out its max power constantly. This is where Alpine fails. Alpine radios can put out 50 watts max, but their RMS is usually 18. A JVC/Kenwood (they're owned by the same company now) usually has 50 watts max, and can do 20-22 RMS, depending on the model.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C-KW-AV60.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...od-DDX370.html

In today's world, JVC/Kenwood is more of an audio enthusiast brand, considering the bang for the buck. It's just more user friendly. It's also compatible with iphones AND Android phones, something most radios are not. That's also another thing I hate about Alpine. If you connect your android phone, it sees it as a mass usb storage device, and it will only allow you to read 100 songs per folder (usually what happens to me on Alpine HU). Pioneer's way of reading it is screwy (it goes by date added, not by filename) and Sony cuts off how much it reads at a random number.

I don't know what phone you have but it's always good to have a versitile radio whenever spending more than $100, and JVC/Kenwood does that IMO.

But it's all opinion, keep looking if you so wish, but consider the specs of the radios on my links.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote