View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #16
tacollins
GX Member

tacollins is on a distinguished road
I was never gonna buy it, I was gonna try to build something like it from sheet metal because I thought I might be able to recreate the effects of a gm 4.3l vortec intake manifold, but now that I think about it that engine was one of gm's fails. My friend has a s-10 with one and it has hardly any power. (Didn't help that he killed it with an exhaust mod)

As for tuning, the only hands on experience I have is with brakes and exhaust systems. I do how ever have knowledge of the other aspects which all began with an article on HKS's website ( https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/basic_tuning/02.html ) and from there I've added to my knowledge from other articles, and reading the chilton repair manual for imports from 1987. (primitive Porsche turbo systems are very interesting)

As for being young, yeah I am 22 years old, and I wish that I hadn't had to live through the experiences of my teen years to get me where I am in the realm of cars and trucks. I once had a Toyota T-100, precursor to the Tundra, I was being stupid as kids are and was driving 70 on a dirt road topped a hill ramped a highway, flew through the air, landed nose first on another dirt road, bent the A-frames, messed up the steering column and the shift selector, deployed the airbag, my spare tire passed me... It's a wonder that didn't kill me and my best friend. I'm not as young as some people, but I am young... My dad is getting close to his 60's if not already there, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from an old gearhead I call my dad while I still have him around.

So I am here not just to learn, but to help, and to throw any crazy engineering ideas I have out so that I can get some feedback.

The "vortec" insert was one such engineering idea...

end rant

and someone should post that tuning guide somewhere people that are newer to the idea could find it, just throwing that out there...

Mods in consideration: Painted intake manifold, (still gotta replace my lifters, planning on using MMS improved lifters), Stage 2/3 NA Camshaft, CAI, Battery relocation, upgrade stock Kicker speakers with the stock upgrade ones from WalMart, (I blew one of my rear bass speakers, )

R.I.P. Paul Walker

Last edited by tacollins : 12-21-2013 at 11:02 AM.
tacollins is offline   Reply With Quote