View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #318
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM Racing View Post
what do you think of a convertable alero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
^^ this plus the frame for the windshield as it is the integral part during a roll over unless you put a roll bar like the cutlass convertable...

I have one, and to be honest, the design was a bad idea on GM's part, mostly because the car is known to leak. It's a common complaint that many people on the W body forum have. Anyways, if he made the Alero into a vert, he would have to keep the "B Pillar", which would look cheesy with the door just how my vert looks with the side doorpanel. Compared to my Camaro's door (which has no frame at all) and the vert door (which is basically a cutout of a normal coupe door). They should have designed it as a convertible from the start then added the hardtop, same way the Vette is designed. I know the VW Cabrio is similar to the Cutlass Vert too, it has the roll bar. Don't know if that was done purposefully or because they decided to make a Golf vert out of nowhere.

Anyways, make sure to search everything you can if you go this route. It's not an easy task, no matter how many 4 door Florida vert conversions you see on the internet. Here's some pics of my vert, which has the roll bar.

The easiest way would be to do that to keep the frame from twisting, you would also need to brace the sides. I know all convertibles came with a sway bar standard whereas the rest of the W bodies had no sway bar. The fenders from a normal Cutlass also don't fit the vert because there's internal bracing there. It's not an easy deal, you might have to find a company that specializes in it, but it's gonna be a pretty penny.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote