View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
Nothing wrong with it at all. Just looking to replace it cuz of age and I use aftermArket audio including 400watt rms amp to my subs.

No reason to change out an alternator just due to age. Changing out the alternator brushes at around 150K or so makes some sense, but other than that I would leave it alone, or just keep as a spare if you upgrade to something with more amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
If I can use a factory Alt to get another 20 amps that would be cool. May even build mine to output that if it's not expensive

If you can get one from a junkyard that fits that's probably the best way to go. If you want to rebuild to higher output, I would be looking for higher capacity diodes and a regulator that puts out a slightly higher voltage (some alternator voltage regulators do put out higher voltage it idle, I suspect that NAPA uses them in their rebuilds).
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote