View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Im just a huge kicker fan is all.

I feel you on that. Alpine speakers are just as good as Kicker though. I've gone through many speakers young grasshopper... I've been at that embarrassing point where I've blown speakers in the Best Buy parking lot 5 minutes after installing.

From what I've noticed, if you just want the sound of bass, then go with Sony, Dual, or Pioneer... but if you want to feel bass, if you want to set off alarms... then Alpine or Kicker are the way to go... unless you really wanna pour some money into sound, then you can always go to Memphis Audio or Skar.

As far as the Infinity Kappa 120.9W's... I'd stay away from them. I know Infinity is a good brand and all, but I seriously doubt that a speaker can handle a peak of 1200 watts when their RMS rating is 350. The golden rule is usually that the peak handling of a sub should be around double of what the RMS rating is. At 1200 watts, that subwoofer would more than likely start burning. Realistically, that sub wouldn't be able to handle more than 700 watts peak. Pioneer, Kenwood, and Sony do the same thing... ask me how I know those exaggerated peak figures aren't real. lol.

I noticed that the sub sells for $140 on Sonic Electronix. IDK how much you've found them for, but for $140 a sub, you can easily demand a good sub.

I don't know what type of music you listen to nor what amp you have, but here's some of my recommendations for that price point.

Alpine Type S Dual 2 ohm.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SWS-12D2.html

I recommend 2 ohm if you're getting 2 DVC subs. They're more flexible. You can wire each sub parallel to 1 ohm then raise the impedance by wiring both subs together in series for a final impedance of 2, which would power then more efficiently than having subs wired at 4 or 8 ohms. This is of course, how I've done it as my amps have been more powerful at 2 ohm and one of mine is 1ohm stable (meaning I can wire 2ohm subs individually to a channel instead of bridging my amp for more power).

Kicker Comp VR Dual 2 ohm.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-10CVR122.html

This sub is cheaper than the Alpine (The Alpine is on sale, but usually retails for $150). I've had this sub before and accidentally blew it by overpowering the sub with my 900 watt RMS Boston Acoustics amp. Needless to say, it still handled the punishment the B.A. amp gave it for about 2 weeks.

If you want to go all out on a sub then...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-40CWR122.html

Kicker Comp R's... 800 watts RMS, 1600 peak. I've had this sub too... I think it's underrated. This sub actually wanted more power than what the 900 watt B.A. was giving it. I had to sell this sub because it would be cheaper than doing a big 3 in my Camaro and upgrading the amp that would power it. You would need an extreme amp to power 2 of these, but it's worth it.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 01-27-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote