View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #24
Bluestreak
GX Member

Bluestreak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Does it sound like low Freon to you after what I said I did checking the fuses and making sure the relay clicks and that the compressor clutch clicked?
If the clutch is cycling, and the compressor doesn't make any strange noise when it starts up, it could be low refrigerant. Without gauge readings, it's one of many possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The system only requires a specific amount of PAG oil and adding too much can cause damage just the same as not having enough. I've seen refrigerant cans that also include oil in them, but in reality adding more oil probably isn't really necessary if just topping off the system charge. The AC system doesn't require a whole lot of PAG oil to begin with.
  • First - you're not going to "overadd" oil. It'll end up at the bottom of the accumulator, slowly adding itself to the refrigerant stream. The accumulator prevents the system from slugging the compressor with liquid (BAD!). Unless you add, say 4-6 ozs. or something ridiculous (WRONG!) ... which brings me to my next point...
  • Second - The maximum my oil syringe adds is 10 ml. My Alero just hit 68,000 miles and I had to add 3/4-lb. of R-134a. I would suggest adding 4~5-ml of oil to the low-side for every lb. of refrigerant you add. That's not excessive. That's maintenance.

Like I said, of course, you're NOT adding an entire can. Just a few cc's. If you've only added refrigerant to your system, and never added a bolster shot of PAG... well, NAPA sells good replacement kits for around $250-ish.