View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
wws944
GX Member

wws944 is on a distinguished road
Alero side mirror versions

We had a little 'incident' with the passenger side mirror and a pole in a parking garage yesterday necessitating its replacement. I went to one of the local Pick-N-Pulls today and looked at Alero mirrors. (Not interested in Grand Am two posters.)

I saw the difference between the 1999-2001 two-piece mirrors and the later one-piece 2002-2004 mirrors. I also noted that some cars have painted mirrors and others are black. I ended up buying one off a black 2001. It was the nicest condition of several, and it seems like it is painted a deeper black than the later years. (My Alero is black, so either works.) Being the two piece part, it will also fold back in the event of a future incident.

My questions really boil down to:

1.) Can I consider the 1999-2001 mirror the better of the two? I know there was at least one other cost reduction in the newer cars - the removal of the vanity mirrors from the visors. (Both mirror related. Hmmm...)

2.) Which years and options packages have painted mirrors? I am wondering if my new-to-me 2001 mirror really does have a different finish on it, or if the car had just spent a lot of its life covered compared to the others?