View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #187
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
That was some short lived fun.

Broke the turbo.
Need a new one ASAP. The TiAL housing, even using high strength M6 bolts, Nord-Lock washers, and Rocksett enginering adhesive, allowed movement of the CHRA/compressor side of the turbo independent of the turbine housing. Basically, you could wobble the compressor/CHRA side. Apparently it has wobbled enough to cause the turbine fins to collide with the turbine housing's interior, and destroy the fins and also overheat the bearing assembly (maybe) because it sounds bad. But it still spins a long time when the car is off, but you can see the side to side play now.

I didn't expect this turbo to last as long as it did. I bought it used and abused for half price. I used and abused it.

Edit: Ordered a new one.

Countermeasure for failure:
The CHRA will be tack welded to the TiAL v-band turbine housing. This will prevent the CHRA from moving and allowing for friction and wear of the turbine wheel.
I realize this is unconventional, but I do not need to ever take it apart nor do I need to clock it any other way than the way it's installed.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote