View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Shutting Off Due to Low Oil?

Hello. Those that don't like to read may want to scroll to the end.

This thread is a bit related to my towing one. On Thursday night, I was driving at around 30mph. After 8-10 minutes, my car started shaking. I went to the center lane to make a couple of observations. The temperature was right, The RPMs did not seem to be out of the ordinary, and there seemed to be no check engine light on or anything. At that point, right in the center lane, the Alero stalled, and turned off. Somebody helped me push it to the nearest parking lot where I tried to turn it on with no luck. I then left the car there and went home.

Friday morning, my friend showed up to tow the car to the mechanic, this time however, the car immediately started with zero stalling. I drove all the way to the mechanic (13 miles away) with no issues.

At the shop the mechanic ran computer diagnostics, and checked the fuel pressure, but he found nothing due to the car not backfiring anymore. Still, I had him install the fuel pump just in case.

I drove home, and then back, and still no issues. I then went to my in laws, and that's where it happened again. My car was stalling to the point where it would not go forward and eventually turned off. My father in law told me to check the oil, and I did. Sure enough, the oil reached the part of the dipstick that says "Min". After adding one quart of oil, my car immediately turned on without any stalling or issues.

Now my question is: Will low oil, cause a car to not start, or stall very badly, or was my case of adding oil and having it turn on purely coincidental?

If it is coincidental, what can be another probable cause?