View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #32
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Something actually showed up on the GM recall webpage (https://recalls.gm.com/#/) today:

The following recalls have been found for your 1999 Oldsmobile Alero

Results last updated: Aug 07, 2014

GM Recall #: N140350 NHTSA Recall #:14V400 Date Issued: Jul 03, 2014

Recall Title:
Unintended Key Rotation (PENDING REMEDY) - * DRIVE WITH A SINGLE KEY ONLY *

Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2000-2005 MY Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo, 1997-2005 MY Chevrolet Malibu, 1999-2004 MY Oldsmobile Alero, 1998-2002 MY Oldsmobile Intrigue, 1999-2005 MY Pontiac Grand Am, and 2004-2008 MY Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles. If the key ring is carrying added weight and the vehicle goes off road or experiences some other jarring event, it may unintentionally move the key away from the run position. If this occurs, engine power, power steering and power braking may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash.

Safety Risk Description:
The timing of the key movement out of the run position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes. Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that customers remove all items from their key ring, leaving only the vehicle key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from the key ring.

Repair Description:
Dealers are to install two key rings and key cover on all ignition keys free of charge.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.

I have a recall but there is no immediate remedy, what should I do?
If there is no remedy yet, then GM is working diligently to identify the necessary repair procedures and/or obtain parts. You will be notified via written communication when the repair procedure or parts are available. You can also check back at this website or your dealer.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 08-08-2014 at 01:20 PM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote