View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Great post.....thanks for summing things up nicely as I've been out of the car audio scene for a while now and my son wants a new sound system for the GA so I'm doing some research. Looking for a sub box that can be mounted under the rear deck in the trunk as we can't use a big huge sub box because the trunk still needs to remain useable to haul things. I've seen it done on one of the GA forums, but the box he used doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Lets do this... let's change the question to a clothing type question...

Why is Ralph Lauren more expensive than Nautica? Why is True Religion more expensive than Lucky 7?

JL has been hyped up as a brand. Sure their products may be top notch, but that doesn't mean the little guy doesn't make a similar product. Although I will comment that the little guy sometimes doesn't make a high powered subwoofer, or will make subwoofers that burn out rather quickly.

So why is JL expensive? For the same reason Rockford Fosgate is expensive. It's a well known brand with certain products that were of quality craftsmanship. I won't say they all are since we all know everyone makes a dud here and there.

Also, for the record, Kicker isn't a "top notch" brand. Top notch/Grade A brands are stuff like Skar or Memphis Audio. Kicker is more of a mid level player, that makes stuff that can compete with the big boys, but saying Kicker and JL are the same rank is like comparing JVC to Kicker. Not many JVC speakers can hold a candle to Kicker products. JVC doesn't even make subwoofers under the JVC brand. Most subs from that company are branded as "Kenwood", and even then Kenwood isn't the brand that it used to be.

Think of it this way...

JVC, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer; those are entry level brands.

Alpine, Kicker, Polk Audio, Infinity; those are mid level brands.

Memphis Audio, JL, DC; These brands are for audiophiles...

Of course it can also be argued that if it's sold at a big box store and not an audioshop, then it's entry level whereas stuff you only find at a sound shop is more high end since they're specialty stuff.

Me personally, Alpine headunits, Alpine woofers, Kicker Solo Baric subs. I like the Alpine subs, they have clearer sound quality, but a Solo Baric can make it sound like you have a sub a size up than what it really is. Even right now that I'm rebuilding my Cutlass, I'm split between 2 12" Type R subs or 2 12" Solo Baric L7's - which will sound like 2 15"s in a ported box.