View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
wouldn't parallel decrease it to say 0 and series to 4? Or does that new "resiatance switch" take care of that. Its been years since ive bought a sub not already wired to a box. Maybe its been way too long and my memory is hazy

They're dual voice coil subs, that's why they're able to wire them to 2ohms final. What they do is they wire each sub to be 1ohm (there's no such thing as no ohm subs, since zero is nothing/the absence of a number). So now that they have the sub wired in parallel, they wire the 2 subs in series to create the final 2 ohms.

That "resistance switch" does nothing but switch from parallel to series wiring. I had that sub (Comp R or w.e., the 800 RMS sub). It's a good sub, but it needs a properly tuned box. You can't slap stuff like that in a prefab box unless it has the right cubic space but even then it wouldn't be 100% perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Great post.....thanks for summing things up nicely as I've been out of the car audio scene for a while now and my son wants a new sound system for the GA so I'm doing some research. Looking for a sub box that can be mounted under the rear deck in the trunk as we can't use a big huge sub box because the trunk still needs to remain useable to haul things. I've seen it done on one of the GA forums, but the box he used doesn't seem to be available anymore.

No problem. Feel free to browse through my posts on here. I've written up a lot of stuff on sound systems. Or make your own thread, I'd be happy to help, although I'll take a day or 2 to get to it since I don't have much time to be online anymore.

If you want a system small enough to fit in the car but keep your trunk space, look into the truck sub and box combo. That's actually what I did with my Camaro, I got a Solo Baric TS10L3.

It looks like this.

You could get 2 of them if you wanted and have them under the rear deck, they're only 10 or so in width, but go up to 15 or so in height. They don't make L3 Solo Barics anymore, only L7's. They're more expensive but they have 600 watts RMS in 10" sub configuration. Mine has 400 but it's not noticeable. Sounds like 2 entry level 12" subs. The 600 watt one would sound similar, but considering the space thing, it's not bad at all. It won't set off alarms but it will make you feel happy driving.

Here's a link for the L7's. They're expensive but try to shop around for a deal.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...11TS10L72.html

Also, getting these in 2 ohm is better. More easier to power since you don't need an expensive amp. You could get a $150 Sony amp that's rated for 600 or so watts at 2 ohms and be done with it. That's what I did, except my Sony amp cost me $100 and it has 600 watts at 2 ohm, 330 at 4.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote