View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #135
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
So for the last 5 months we've been trying to get a valvetrain pieced together from off-the-shelf parts, or a combination of that and custom machined retainers and/or locators.

However, something we didn't anticipate was that every manufacturer would feign interest, be extremely communicative, and then ghost us.

GSC Power Divison

The first manufacturer we spoke with just stopped replying to emails in early January. I left a very polite "just following up" voicemail once a week. I emailed expressing my willingness to pay whatever it takes to make, etc. Completely ghosted.

Kibblewhite Performance Machining, Inc
I reached out to another manufacturer, and they were very responsive, very fast, up until the point that I sent my stock parts to them for one final fit-check. They said it would be about $750, so to consider that before sending in my parts. Cost is not an issue on this so I immediately shipped them. It's been over 6 weeks since they received my parts, and they immediately went silent. I've only gotten a few blips of "sorry we were busy" and "I'm working with your parts today, will have an answer Monday or Tuesday" which of course was weeks ago.

Ferrea
I reached out to another place and explained that I'm having bad luck and everyone is ghosting me. They were communicative but did not have a good retainer/base solution. Recommended RD Spring.

RD Spring
They had a spring but said would need custom retainers and such and they don't do that.

I decided to reach back out to GSC Power Division last week. I emailed and explained that I left a few voicemails and emails that went unanswered, and I don't know why, but is there any way you can help. I need this done and I will pay big.

I called immediately to follow up and was able to speak to the owner for a long time. He said the reason he disappeared was he assumed I wouldn't be interested in the 2-3 month lead time. Come on. I'm 5 months in researching and trying to get a valvetrain solution, and they ghosted me because he thought it would be too long? Regardless, today is a new day and he is willing to help based on my persistence.

So now GSC and KPMI both have sets of my parts for comparison. I emailed KPMI with a desperate sounding plea for follow-through on this project, and explained that I spent a LOT of money on this car and this isn't in the grand scheme of things, I just need it done, and done quickly. I am tired of waiting, my car has not been driven by me in 2 years, etc.

However.

I continued my research and found that there is a fast, even inexpensive, solution that should result in about a 105 lb installed spring force.
  • Crower springs P/N 68190-16
  • 2.3 Quad 4 retainers (P/N 22531219)
  • Comp Cams shim(s) on exhaust side (P/N 4717-16)
Then you grind off the inner raised lip on the intake rotators for the spring to fit.

That's it. I've got the parts on order.

Since you're technically supposed to use a locator on the base of the spring, I also ordered Isky 255VSL locators, which are basically the perfect size to use on the exhaust valvetrain. This way they have a shoulder that the spring can be "located" by instead of just resting on a flat washer with nothing helping keep it centered.

The intake side won't be ideal for now, as to install the spring on the existing rotators, we have to remove the raised shoulder that normally centers and locates the spring. I've heard quite a few people running things that way, so it must be OK for a while. I will have custom rotators made for the next engine, but it should work for now.

I hate not having my car. This is a car that was my daily driver for so many years. When it had issues, I was in a bad mood overall. When it was running good, I was feeling good. Dunno, it's weird.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote