View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 01:46 AM   #365
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think I know some of the parts I need.

$10,197
gearDriven Honda AWD K-Series PPG SYNCHRO GEARBOX Manual Transmission
2.75 / 1.93 / 1.40 / 1.05 helical gears
Quaife LSD
PPG 4.0 final drive
5 speed

Original Getrag F23 in these cars has the following ratios:
3.58 / 2.02 / 1.35 / 0.98
3.94 final drive

I figure it's close to OEM ratios, but first gear is drastically different. I think it will cause it to be slower to rev in first, which isn't a bad thing as first is very fast currently.

$5,026
Drag Cartel AWD K-SERIES GEAR COMBO & TRANSFER CASE
Nutty price, but I think it's the best/strongest one...

$1,500
AKDBuilt RT4WD Billet Viscous Coupler
Supposed to be a serviceable strong version of the OEM viscous coupler on the old Civic wagons.

$3,690
Oldschool Capital OEM rebuilt Civic Wagon rear differential
Absolutely insane prices, but that's because all the cool kids are doing AWD swaps on their Hondas.

$1,000
Quaife LSD for rear diff

$460
K-Tuned TSX shifter KTD-TSX-AC2
I think this one works with this transmission. Pretty wild looking.

We're at $20,000 in parts alone, not including:
  • custom front/rear driveshafts
  • custom front axles
  • custom rear axles
  • custom differential mounting solution
  • custom viscous coupler mounting solution
  • custom engine/transmission mounts depending on location of axle output relative to original axles
  • rear hubs
  • custom struts/springs
  • custom rear trailing arms/lateral links
  • shift cables
  • fuel tank/fuel cell
  • revised exhaust routing
  • bellhousing adapter
  • fabrication labor

Clutch
The cool thing is the 02-06 CR-V AWD transmission uses a 1 inch, 24 spline input shaft, the same as the Alero. I'll have to figure out whether the clutch masters setup will work as is, or require modifications to its thickness etc. to properly activate via whatever CR-V release system exists (an arm setup it seems). The length of the splines on the Getrag F23 seem much longer than the CR-V, which will probably be an issue. Also seems like there's less room. Maybe I need to use a Honda CR-V clutch and just adapt it/space it out to the Alero flywheel or a custom flywheel. That way the clutch/pressure plate is in the proper position for the CRV release bearing to function normally, and the flywheel would be in the normal LD9 position, allowing the starter to engage and such.

Release bearing
This is another tricky one. I don't know how to configure the CR-V transmission's release bearing arm to work with the existing Alero clutch master cylinder and operate at certain limits.

I ordered a $1k regular OEM used transmission to test fit and design things. Since the trans/transfer case is the most expensive part when built, I can just make the new chassis AWD using the cheap trans and then switch over once it's confirmed working as an AWD Alero.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote