View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
Bumber

A few questions I've thrown around to all the people I know in the city here I now bring the way of you all:

1. Exhaust System: Borla catback is discontinued for the Alero. Can I still find one elsewhere or what is a good alternative - Priority goes to emission control, followed by sound, followed by power. I can't stand tinny/ricey sound. Borla's 3x Dynomax price - is it worthwhile? Considering the following upgrades will I need a 2 1/2" exhaust?

2. Headers: OBX is available and better than pacesetter? Where to find and what's the cost for OBX. My local performance stores never mentioned them.

3. Throttle Body: How badly would a 2.3 HO TB wound my emissions? If I snag it from the wreckers which car model would I ask them for?

4. Underdrive pully: Would I need to raise my idle to keep loads/drags happy - from damaging/wounding/removing lifespan from parts?

5. Whether or not it is a good idea, is it practicaly impossible to put the 3.4 L into my 5spd? Nobody in Canada is willing to consider it. Some think it possible but don't know how or who could. They all think the same about putting a 5spd into the 3.4 L.

6. Other than upgradable parts availability, what are some advantages of the 2.4 over the 3.4?

7. Hoods: Are there light weight hoods available for the Alero (I'm sure I've seen the on somebody's)? (If so, are there any with scoops/intakes?)

8. RamAir: I checked out the GrandAm's RA and think it really SUCKS. 5 horse and torque more than Alero's 3.4 - what's big deal? The hood scoops are plugged and the real scoops looked pretty freakin useless to me - not to mentioned really poorly placed.
- I want to increase my airpressure around my HF K&N CAI (I used Cav Z24's). Who has experience or knows of experience on effective means of building that pressure? ie. putting a plastic tube from the `ground' and aiming it up near the `bottom right' side of the intake and cutting a hole near the middle of the hood (and placing a scoop over it) to add pressure on the opposite (top left corner) side of the intake, thus, theoretically pressurizing (`raming') the intake (with much more pressure (I imagine/hope) than the the GrandAm's).

9. Any guess (educated would be nice; explained would be appreciated) on what the dyno might figure me around after the above changes? (I already have the `standard' `cai').

10. Would I need adjust any of the above (other than your guesses at dyno figures) if I installed a 2.6 L stroker conversion Kit? (And how much would the 2.6 conversion hurt my emissions - I am CANADIAN)?

THANK YOU

PS. I've read every related post I could find - thanks a bunch Aleromod.