Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Submitted by Voodoosoup
1. Grab your favorite beverage
2. Drink favorite beverage
3. See steps 1 and 2

This took me about 6 hours to complete, plan on more if you've never had your door panels off and have no experience upholstering things.

First thing you need to do is remove one of your door panels.
I won't cover how to do that here, it's already posted on the site I believe.

1. Grab some tools

I used a dremel with the standard cut-off discs, a hot glue gun with all-purpose high-temp glue sticks, various screwdrivers, a utility knife, screws and washers. Some eye protection would also be a good idea. (lots of hot flying plastic and adhesive)

Sitting down with the door panel in your lap backside up

You need to pry the 2 staples out of the sound deadening material (grey with multi-color fibers) that hold it to the area you'll be working in near the top of the door panel.

Next you need to carfully take out the big white piece of foam that is glued to the door panel. Find a place to get your fingers under it and gently pry it up until it comes out.
You now should have somthing that looks like this

Next you need to grind down or cut off the tops of the plastic rivets that hold the piece to the door panel. This is where I used the dremel tool.
You need to work slowly and carefully and try to avoid cutting through the piece of door panel that we are removing the small piece from

The ones you want to remove first are the inner row that go all the way around the panel mine were silghtly off-white/yellowed.

Be careful if some of the glue from the white foam is covering some of the rivets. If this is heated up by the dremel it starts to spatter and it doesn't feel good when it hits your skin.

If you start in one of the upper corners you can pry the panel easier to start breaking it free of the rest of the door panel.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote