View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
How To: Convert your N body's rear brakes from drum to disc!

It is a well known fact that Alero's and Grand Am's had rear drum brakes as stock equipment but had disc brakes as an option. Even worse, the Chevy Malibu did not have the option at all, despite using the same Chassis.

After this how to, hopefully that will change.

I will be guiding you step by step on how to convert your car from old fashioned drums to new era discs. I will take 2 posts. This post will introduce you to this mod and hopefully give you an idea of what will happen, the next will be the actual how to.

The real benefit of this (besides look) is that you no longer have to worry about adjusting or changing your rear brake shoes. You would now have brake pads, just how your front has pads. This also sets you on the path to do the "big brake" modification, where you can get F Body (Camaro/Firebird) or Y Body (Corvette) front brakes and Grand Prix GXP rear brakes.

The difficulty of this job is moderate! If you are not comfortable changing your front brake pads, then you should not attempt to perform this modification. Also, if you are on a tight schedule, set a side a weekend (or a full week) to do this. REMEMBER: You do have to bleed your brakes whenever you touch a brake line/hose.

Frequently Asked Questions:
-What do I need to get in order to do the conversion?
-You need to find a donor car that already has disc brakes. It can be at a junkyard, a car that's going to the junkyard, or you can ask for the parts when you see a "part out" thread on the forum.
From the donor car, you will get the full rear spindle (also known as a "steering knuckle") from each side. It is held on by 4 bolts.

-I drive an Alero! Will the parts from a Grand Am fit?
-The Alero and the Grand Am are the same car. Yes they are different, but the overall design is the same. When it comes down to mechanical parts, the Alero and Grand Am are twins, thus the Alero knuckle is the same as the Grand Am knuckle. You can even go to the parts store and ask for Grand Am brake parts, they will have the same part number as the Alero counterpart.

-My Alero is a 2000. Can the parts from a 2004 fit? (or other similar years)
-Yes, they will interchange. The design was the same throughout the years the Alero and Grand Am were built

-Do I have to change the brake hoses?
-No. It is not necessary, but it is RECOMMENDED that you do. These brake hoses are 10 or so years old. You're already bleeding the brakes, you might as well do the whole job while you have it apart.

-Are the brake hoses different between the drum and disc brake setup?
-Yes. The drum brake hose is LONGER than the disc brake hose. The difference is not much, about 1 or 2 inches bigger, but they are different in length. You can re-use the stock hose or purchase the drum hoses if you wish, but the banjo bolt are different in size. At least, mine were, so proceed with caution re-using the banjo bolt.

-I drive a 97-05 Malibu/Classic, but post at Aleromod! Does this apply to me?
-ALWAYS check part numbers. If the drum, hub, brake hose, master cylinder, and spindle are the same part numbers from GM (Yes, I recommend you check GM parts directly,) then you can do this to your Malibu.

A SIDE NOTE: I've been told it can be done, but I'm not sure. Please do your research. If your research lands you here, then proceed with caution. If you found this and just so happen to own a Malibu, do more research. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT YOU DO TO YOUR CAR. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CARRYING OUT THE MOD, I HOLD NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES. THIS IS A SIMPLE INFORMATIONAL POST.

-I can't get the bolts off the donor car! What am I doing wrong?
-The bolts are torqued to a certain weight. The top part of the spindle where the struts are attached to are torqued to 133lbnm. Everything else is torqued to 88lbnm. You will need a breaker bar or a torque ratchet to take them off. You will definitely need a torque ratchet to put them back on.

-Can I use the same bolts from my car?
-I personally would take the bolts with me from the donor car, if in case the previous owner had work done around the rear area and you end up with strange sized bolts on your car.

SIDE NOTE: This was the case with my car, I assume someone did a strut job and subsequently lost a bolt. I ended up with a different sized bolt on my struts. I have now fixed that.

-Can I use my old hubs?
-I personally don't recommend it because it's extremely hard to get the hub off. You can't just take off the 4 bolts that hold it in, it requires use of a chisel and hammer to dislodge it from the knuckle. They're on there, and it will be stubborn to get it off. The drums will prove to be harder to dislodge the hubs simply because of all the stuff that's around it. Take the easy way out and buy the hubs with the spindle. You'll thank me later.

-Do the parking brake cables interchange?
No. The cables are attached differently on to the rear brakes, but are attached the same to the cables already in the center of the car.

To better clarify, the drum brake cables are spring loaded, the disc brake cables are clipped on. Also, you will need to tug on the cables where they are attached to the cable that goes to the interior to move them out of their holding place.

I think I'm ready to do the conversion!

Good! A fair warning... This is not an easy task as say, changing a tire or changing your oil. You will get dirty, you will spend a lot of time, but it will all be worth it. Plan accordingly!

You will need the following tools!
  • Gloves
  • Hydraulic jack
  • 2 Jackstands
  • Drip pan (or something where the brake fluid can drip on to)
  • 11mm Wrench
  • 15mm Deep Socket
  • 18mm Deep Socket
  • 3/8 ratchet
  • Breaker Bar
  • Torque Ratchet
  • Vice grips
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Cold beverages
  • Shade

Parts you will need: (Keep in mind you need these for both sides)
  • Full Spindle (with hub and parking brake shoe IN GOOD CONDITION)
  • Rotor
  • Caliper Brackets
  • Caliper
  • Pads
  • Parking Brake cables
  • Brake hoses

You can get them all used, or all new. I personally would not get the pads and rotors used. Truthfully I couldn't recommend that the calipers be used too, but try your luck. You may come out lucky.

Now proceed to the next post. You're welcome to print it out, BUT YOU ARE NOT WELCOME TO CLAIM THIS AS YOUR OWN HOW TO: ASK BEFORE REPOSTING AT ANOTHER FORUM.

WARNING: [b][color="Red"]It has been said that the "DORMAN" parking cables are 2" short. Proceed with caution on using "DORMAN" branded parking brake cables. PROCEED WITH CAUTION when purchasing the brake cables.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 06-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote