View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
crankycowboy
GX Member

crankycowboy is on a distinguished road
Car overheating, have changed EVERYTHING!

Well my daughters 3.4L Alero overheated. It kept losing coolant out the overflow tube. I figured it was bubbling out because of a bad head gasket. The heads were really warped, so I decided to get another engine from a salvage yard. I checked compression on the "new" engine and all were between 130 and 150. Oil was clean etc. So I installed it. When running it, it gets hot. Ironically, all the coolant comes out of the overflow tube again. Since it was showing the same signs as it did with the previous engine, I assumed it had to be something in the cooling system. I replaced the reservoir and cap as many suggest. I replaced thermostat, water pump, and radiator. It's still doing the same thing. It gets really hot and pushes coolant out of the tube. I have "burped" it after every refill to no avail. Any suggestions as to what the problem is? Could I have gotten engine with a blown head gasket? (car was wrecked with 70k miles, so assumed that was the reason in salvage yard). If it was a head gasket and "blowing" out through exhaust side (to cause bubbling in water) wouldn't I lose compression? LIMG maybe? I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
crankycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote