View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Well my smoke machine doesn't work just like a lot of the reviews say. I followed the instructions perfectly, waited til it heats up and the light comes on before turning it on. Nothing. Might go back and get another one because it would be useful, but I think my basic soapy water method was able to find all the leaks anyway.

I just used the shop vac to pressurize the exhaust and sprayed soapy water. Everything seems well sealed, even the manifold to head flange, but the v-band from the manifold to the turbo has a HUGE leak. That will kill your spool time.

In fact, that leak plus the 3-bolt one midway down the car were able to support the engine running for 2-3 minutes before I noticed my exhaust was still capped off from when I boost leak tested it when we first started the car at StreetOrStrip Concept. That's a big leak. Usually when I forget to remove the cap (twice before that) it BLOWS OFF super far away even though it's t-bolted on. So yeah. Big exhaust leak will hinder performance.

I could probably try to undo the v-band and pop the turbo in place but I am assuming everything is really under some serious fitment stress and I might not be able to, or make it worse lol. Damn it. I'll probably have to take it to the other shop and see if they'll fiddle with it for not too much money and then we can pressure test exhaust again.

Also, my boost controller seems FUBAR. Getting a new one tomorrow.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote