View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK03GXS View Post
good question.. as your engine wears out it is normal for oil press to drop over a new engine, however even with a half quart missing, or in traffic your oil light(pressure lite) shouldn't be coming on... if your oil is just been changed.. did it happen before? what are the environmental conditions when you experance this ? often when you have a high mileage engine, in traffic and running hot at idle its not uncommon to see a higher mileage engine trigger the light...

Is it possible that the wrong grade of oil was used when it was changed? (assuming it was fine before)

I agree with the General if you have the know how, tee in with a mechanical pressure gauge so you can actually see what your engine is doing. To me watching a good mechanical oil press gauge is like watching a heart monitor... I hate those Fxxking lites..
I mean is there even a oil level light?? 99 per cent of people see that red oil light and assume its level.. when it is infact press...

There is a low oil level light (orange light that says "low oil pressure") but it don't work for crap...my fault for not checking in a month (car was mostly sitting) but still it shouldn't get three quarts low without the light coming on...while i don't believe this is what caused my timing chain tensioner to go bad, i think that it sped up the process. Why even put a place for the light if it don't do nothing...in a 5 quart motor if it lets it get any lower you are 100% royally screwed
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote