View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #39
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+May 3 2005, 12:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast Eddie @ May 3 2005, 12:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyways, the mechanical force to turn the alternator is not based on electric load.
[/b]

Not true, the mechanical force to turn an alternator/generator IS a function of electric load. Like I said before, get a hand crank generator/alternator and feel it for yourself, or just look up the equations to calculate force and output for generators/alternators.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@May 3 2005, 12:24 PM
Like I said before the battery acts like a huge Cap. in this system.

Yep, the battery is just there for cases when the alternator can't keep up (very high electrical load, or times when the car isn't running).

Quote:
when the battery had converted all the electrical energy it could store into chem. energy the electrical energy would begin turning into thermal energy and you could experince some serious problems, like the battery melting, or worse.

Not true. If the alternator was generating the same amount of electricity, it needs somewhere to go, and for that to happen, something needs to heat up, give off radiation, sound, etc. What happens is the battery stops drawing charge from the alternator and the mechanical force on the alternator is reduced to that necessary to overcome the internal friction.

Quote:
The whole system is a push-pull system with the battery in the middle. The alt pushes energy into the battery and accesories pull the energy from the battery. The battery is constanly discharging, however in normal operation it is constantly charging as well.

The alternator doesn't 'push' energy. It is drawn. Also, the battery isn't constantly discharging. If the charging/discharging you speak of are equal, the battery stays in equilibrium.

<!--QuoteBegin-Fast Eddie
@May 3 2005, 12:24 PM
Your argument is like saying the hose fills my pool faster when I want more water or slower when it is full. In reality the hose fills at a constant rate but the number of people splashing (accesories) determines how much water leaves the pool. The beauty of electricity is that you can maintain the same power, and manipulate the Amps and voltage to suit your needs. Kinda like saying there is less water entering the pool but its wetter.
[/quote]

No, my argument comes from physics. Its like saying it is the same to fill the pool when its 10 feet above the pump as when its 10 feet below the pump.

Seriously man, read up about it, I'm not kidding here. If you can get ahold of a hand generator its pretty cool to feel the difference just a light bulb makes... and then imagine what a couple 12" subs are doing to your alternator.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote