View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #25
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by mike2002+Mar 28 2005, 09:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike2002 @ Mar 28 2005, 09:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fast Eddie@Mar 28 2005, 04:12 PM
The alternator is going to produce a load on the engine as long is it is mechanically attached to the crank, only way to reduce that drag is to remove it (not advisable if you have a street driven car). The amount of resistance being produced by the alternator is also a constant, regardless of current is being drawn from the battery. So adding an electric fan will not produce more drag on the engine b/c the alternator is not a variable resistance unit, its either there or its not.

So yeah BS :P

OWNED

lol, jk

redog, you may want to edit that

the reason A/C takes away more power is when you turn it on, the clutch engages and the a/c pully gets very hard to turn. that robs you of power. when its off, the a/c pully is just free spinning. your alternator has no such clutch, its always the same amount of resistance to spin it.

are you sure the stock rims are 42lbs? i have the 16" polished 2001+ gls rims, and they feel very very light to begin with, they dont feel like 42lbs to me. i can put it on a scale next time i take it off, i think you have a 99 right redog? i know they had a different style rim, maybe it weighs more. If your 17's weigh'd the exact same as my 16"'s (im just saying if) your 17's would pressent more of a drag on your car than my 16's. this is because your weight would be positioned farther out from the center axis, it all has to do with physics.

also, running a smaller diamter tire doesn't change the rolling resistance. a smaller diameter tire is basically changing your cars overall drive ratio. putting a smaller tire on is like changing your gear ratio from 3.05 to 3.15, the amount it changes obviously depends on how much of a difference in diamter you do
[/b][/quote]
I have the 2000 GLS.

I weighed the wheels and I came out with 42 lbs. I'll try weighing them again next week. They are in my storage locker right now and I'm moving out of there on Sunday

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote