View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
Yes! it's the 3.4l , so it is the same "plug" cap that I was thinking about Any tips on what to use to check the oil level?
Don't want to dip my finger in while the engine is running really bad idea imo... & where the level should be at when checking oil? thanks! again

No....no..no..no.

First, technically it's transmission fluid and not oil. The red cap is only used to add more fluid if needed, but you can't check the fluid level from there. To check the trans fluid level, the car needs to be perfectly level either on a lift or up on jack stands. Start the engine and run the gear shift lever through all of the gears and then back to park. With the engine still running, go under the car (with small pan to catch fluid) and remove the bolt on the left side of the transmission right behind the engine oil pan to check fluid level. If fluid runs out when the bolt is removed, wait until it stops dripping and re-install the bolt. If no fluid runs out, then remove the red cap at the top and add fluid until you see it start running out the bolt hole into the catch pan and stop. Let the fluid stop dripping and re-install the bolt and you're done. Note: NEVER do this procedure with the engine off because too much fluid will be lost and left at an incorrect level.

Use Castrol Dexron VI trans fluid and in your case I'd add some Lucas Trans Fix which might help with your problem. I'm fortunate that I can do this procedure at the end of my driveway without jacking up the car, so if you can find a level spot to park that still lets you slide up under the front of the car far enough to remove the bolt like I do, then that will work too.

You can see the tiny bolt in this picture on the lower left side of the trans. Sorry I don't have a pointer arrow.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Starglow : 04-19-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote