Thread: more MPG and HP
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #17
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
To go faster AND get better gas mileage, your best bet is to reduce the overall weight of your vehicle. Less weight means your car can go just as quick with less throttle, or faster with the same throttle. There are lots of things you can remove to save weight:

- Chop off the roof
- remove every other lug nut (reduction in spinning weight is HUGE!)
- remove at least 10 pounds of air pressure from each tire (like above, that's a 40 POUND REDUCTION in spinning weight!!!!!!!!!)
- For even greater wheel weight savings, replace the remaining air with Helium, which is lighter than air!
- remove the superfluous padding from inside the seats...
- Hell, remove all of the seats and strap in a beach chair.
- remove the useless carpeting from inside the trunk and toss the doughnut spare, too, while you're at it.
- remove the stupid coffee cup-type thingy on your center console.
- remove your rear speakers and wiring (you're sitting in the front, so you really only need the front speakers to hear music anyway. Right?)
- drain your excess fluids (the excess oil, water/coolant, and trans is there "just in case", you don't really need it)
- Remove your hood and trunk lids (they're just there to keep the engine clean and the stuff in the trunk from flying out. BUT, you won't be storing anything in the trunk so no need for a lid there, and you'll be going so fast now that dirt won't be able to get into the engine space.)
- Remove all of your window glass (who drives a convertible with their windows up anyway?)
- If the po-po require you to have a windshield, put in clear plastic sheeting or Lexan. Your local Lowe's or Home Depot should have something applicable.

I'm sure I can come up with several more ideas to recommend, but these should be a good starting point. All tallied, I'm guessing my recommendations have just saved you over 450 pounds. That weight savings alone equates to almost a 1/2-second betterment in ET at the track, probably more with the spinning weight reduction which usually doubles the resulting ET improvement... so that makes it closer to a full second improvement in ET. That would put an Alero with ZERO performance modifications securely into the 14's AND give you at least an 18% increase in gas mileage.

Mission Accomplished!
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote