View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #52
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatslayer View Post
The whole plasti dip wasn't a bad idea, but I'm still currently going to high school (because I'm cool) but I'm also going to boces. And the autobody teacher had said I could get my whole car repainted for about $320.... So I think I'm gonna go with that and take advantage of it while I can..... Anybody know a good color choice? I kinda want to go with a dark red or charcoal color.

Ok, I don't have experience with plasti-dip so feel to ignore my opinion on that. But I paint cars for a living so at least hear me out on this one. $320 is scary cheap. I painted my daily driver alero with pretty darn cheap paint (shopline brand) and it still cost over $700. Dirt cheap paints don't hold up well, they chip and scratch super easy, its harder to buff without getting swirls and its so thin that you risk burning through, the paint doesn't flex so it cracks off the bumpers if you ever actually bump into anything, and in some cases after a couple years it can flake off. Furthermore for that price the only kind you could afford is single stage paint. That means there is no clearcoat - the color and clearcoat are sort of combined in one. So the UV protection sucks. I don't ever spray that crap but I've heard its hard to get colors with metallics in them to look right. If you do this I'd consider something without metallics unless you know that painter is good enough. Plus the door jambs and trunk will be the old color still. And don't even get me started on how much prepwork is involved in getting it ready for paint. That paint will come right off if they dont prep it right. Theres a reason we charge 5 grand for a paint job... its a lot of work and quality materials cost a lot if you want long lasting, high quality results.

I won't tell you not to do it. Maybe you just want it to look a little better for a year or two before it gets crushed into a cube. Just know what you're getting into.
zman246 is offline   Reply With Quote