View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 01:11 AM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I don't see why on earth you wouldn't want to change your transmission fluid. I can not speak for the alero, my 5sp being the one the only one I have serviced on an alero, with witch a fluid change did it good. On the intrigue however I did it a few months ago. Never done before, 180,XXX miles. It had long shifts on occasion, and hard shifts often, and overall lag. I dropped the pan and found a small metal shard, and the bottom of the pan to be coated with a thick layer metal shavings, it was a sludgy super metallic mess. I removed the filter then adjusted the front of the car level, then back up to drain all the fluid I could. While level I had a quart of regular Derxon III I poured through for a little flush. Reassembled with a fresh filter and clean pan, filled to factory spec, checked and topped off per instruction manual. Since the car has traveled 800+ miles to homecoming and a weekly trip of 180miles + everyday driving. Overall I plan to do it again in 50,000 miles, no long shifts, fewer hard shifts, quicker shifting in general, and confidently leaving and entering park. I expect it to last the rest of the life of the car.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote