View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
2012:

Bought some euro spec headlights off ebay for a hell of a good price. Way nicer than my skanky projectors.

Had my second accident with the car, I spun out on some graveled pavement and ended up on someone's lawn after grinding across a retaining wall. The stock rims with my winter tires were ruined, I bent a trailing arm and my front lip fell apart. The suspension was thrown out of alignment and my factory shocks had had enough.

So instead of writing it off like I should have, I decided to rebuild it.

New suspension

not pictured:
I bought some '99 aluminum control arms from leoalero - good deal
Replaced tierod ends
All new endlinks for my PFYC swaybars
I found out that when I had my lowering springs "professionally" installed, the guy put the front springs on backwards... ei the top mount was rotated 180 degrees from where it should be. This caused my bearing plates to shred and had made a ton of noise and clunking for years.

Replaced my rear passenger side hub, the rotating mass was actually bent causing the wheel to wobble.

Picked up some swag. only 3500 in 700km that I could find. Not really sure what I am going to do with it, I might just resell it. It has the complete valvetrain. The valve covers and upper intake are off of an Impala.

Bought for shininess

After a lot of work the car still shook and shuddered when I drove it. Turns out my tires were completely gone. The sidewalls had separated which let the shoulder tread disintegrate. It was like driving on a square tire.

I also ripped a cv boot while adjusting the camber on my passenger side, so I had to replace the axle. Derp de derp.

New tires. Only the finest Chinese tires for my car lol. 255/35zr18. WAY better than the Nitto nt555. Really impressed! At only $150 a piece it was a great deal (considering Canadian prices lol)

I fixed some electrical problems. The lights would dim when I hit the brakes or used the stereo. Turns out the 3 little ground wires were the problem. I relocated them to new metal because the old bolts were corroded and broke off when I tried unbolting them. Fixed it 100%. Next up, my ignition switch was going, car would start but the body module wouldn't, so no gauges or power windows. Turns out it is really easy to fix, you can disassemble the rear of the ignition module and clean the metal contacts. Was kind of pissed that I had payed to have the same problem fixed 2 years ago.

Last edited by mrmike : 09-04-2012 at 08:31 PM.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote