Thread: Change Oil
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
havik

DIFFICULTY:
TIME:

Originally posted by Naich

Get any oil you feel comfotable with. I have been using Penzoil, but I usually use valvoline. I picked up like 20 bottles of penzoil a few months ago on sale, so I've been using that. You'll use about 4 and 1/2 quarts of oil. All you REALLY need is oil and a filter. Having a filter wrench makes it easier...

Here's a quick run-through. Before you start, take the oil cap off, to let air in while the oil is draining, otherwise it'll take forever to drain.

1. put oil pan under block
2. pull the oil plug.
3. let it drain out for a few minutes
4. use the filter wrench to break loose the filter. It shouldn't be on too tight.
5. take off the filter, let it drain, put filter somewhere where oil can drain out of it.
6. take the new filter, and dip your finger in the old oil. Run your finger around the rubber of the new filter (creates a better seal)
7. screw on the new filter, hand tighten... maybe a 1/2 twist with the filter wrench.
8. put the plug back in
9. use a funnel to put 4.5 quarts in... i reccomend putting in 4, and then start the car and let it run for a few minutes. then, check the oil to see if it is full or not, add more till it's full.
10. put cap back on.
11. put oil in an old milk gallon container or something, and bring it to the recycle center.

total cost- ~$20 first time, $10-12 each additional time

total time- ~20 minutes