View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #37
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie@May 3 2005, 09:59 AM
You are correct the alt turns on and off but it is based on the state of the battery, not the total vehicle draw, this happens regardless of the presence of an electric fan. But since the alternator produces a constant output, when engaged, regardless of the draw on the battery (which in this system acts like a huge capacitor) the only thing that would posibily change is the amount of times the alt is charging and possibly the duration, And that is difficult to control. So yes if the alt comes on in the 15+ seconds you are going down the track you will lose power, a negligable amount but a net loss. However, you run that risk w/o an electric fan.

I'm probably missing something else but I'm sure someone will straighten me out. And I humbly aplogize for the above oversight of the fact the alt does turn on and off, so to speak.

It doesn't actually turn on and off, its always 'on', but the mechanical force necessary to turn it depends on the current draw placed on it (assume fixed voltage). Because its all one large circuit (charging/battery/accessories) your alternator is in effect actually directly supplying power to your accessories (stereo, ignition system, fan, lights, computer). Ideally, your battery should only ever discharge (slightly) upon start up, and should be at full charge after a very short time of the engine running, which is why, conceptually, your alternator is hooked straight up to your fan/stereo/lights etc.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote